We are pleased to announce the launch of our Fall Pilot Project! This September, in partnership with the District of Squamish, Cutting Barriers will be offering an eight week program designed for adults aged 19+ who are encountering employment barriers.
In a positive and supportive learning environment, participants will learn skills for personal development as well as general workplace and culinary skills. The program includes a week of practical work experience with a local business, connecting students with employers who are seeking to hire.
Businesses in the hospitality industry who want to partner with us to host a practicum student are welcome to contact us. Business managers will receive training and support in working with individuals who may require accommodations and flexible schedules in order to work effectively.
As part of our Under One Roof Food Hub philosophy, we engage in environmentally sustainable practices by rescuing food, reducing waste, and learning to use food products throughout the whole cycle of food production.
Topics covered during the program will include:
- Discovering your purpose and values
- Understanding communication styles
- Developing a professional work ethic
- Time management essentials
- Ways to cultivate confidence
- Managing personal emotions
- Creating personal financial goals
- Principles of providing quality service
- The value of being a team member
- Tips for staying focused
- Planning for punctuality
- Conflict resolution strategies
- Understanding workplace safety
- Creating a great resume
- Learning to job search effectively
- Practicing for interviews
- Strategies for dealing with nerves
- Creating healthy and balanced menus for personal cooking
- Reducing food waste and re-purposing food
- Inventory, storage and receiving best practices
- Kitchen essentials
The program will take place on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from September 11th to November 1st, 2019.
Classes are three days/week and will take place at the 55+ Activity Centre at 1201 Village Green Way, Squamish, BC.
In order to make this program accessible, our commitment is to raise funds in order to accept participants who are a good fit for the program regardless of income.
All participants who complete the program will receive a certificate of completion.
Participants will also obtain industry recognized certifications to add to their list of employable skills: Foodsafe Level 1, Serving It Right, Superhost, WHMIS, and Emergency First Aid with CPR and AED.
For further information or to apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text 1-877-423-6769.
We wish to thank our many partners and supporters in this initiative including the District of Squamish, Squamish Helping Hands Society, Squamish Savings, WorkBC, and Squamish Nation Employment and Training. We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia.